Southern Company and Turner Renewable Energy acquired the 139-megawatt (MW) Campo Verde Solar Facility in April 2013, the fifth and largest solar acquisition to result from a partnership to develop renewable energy resources with an initial focus on large-scale solar photovoltaic plants in the Southwest. The acquisition more than doubles Southern Company's solar capacity. Southern Company and Turner Renewable Energy began their partnership with the acquisition of the Cimarron Solar Facility in March 2010. They have also acquired the Adobe Solar Facility, the Apex Solar Facility, the Spectrum Solar Facility the Granville Solar Facility, and the Macho Springs Solar Facility.
SOLAR ENERGY NEWS
Other Solar Projects
- Georgia Power plans to build, own and operate three separate 30-MW solar generation facilities on U.S. Army bases in Georgia
- Georgia Power power purchase agreements (PPA) for solar energy (50 MW) and plans to build 1 MW of solar selfbuild projects
- Georgia Power selling 700kW of solar to Dalton Utilities under PPA
- Testing at 3 locations for PV technologies including monocrystalline, polycrystalline and thin film for better understanding of the performance of PV panels and various power conversion technologies
- Research and feasibility studies for Concentrating Solar Power (CSP) technology
- 100+ PV solar systems deployed on distribution poles to evaluate integration into grid; 1- to 5-second intervals of weather data collected and analyzed
How the technology works
PV modules generate electricity directly from sunlight through an electronic process that occurs naturally in certain types of material, known as semiconductors. Solar energy frees electrons in these materials to travel through an electrical circuit, powering devices or sending electricity to the grid.
Our solar research and development
Our research strategy is to track, evaluate and demonstrate solar technologies; better understand the solar resource and its variability in our southeastern U.S. service territory; and determine issues that come with integrating solar onto the electricity grid.